Provided by Prince William Public Libraries
Hours of Operation – Effective July 6
Monday to Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday to Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. close on Sunday.
Upcoming virtual programs
Almost all Americans have at least one ancestor who served in the military. Military archives dating from the Revolution are available to researchers. RELIC Librarian Don Wilson will demonstrate strategies for a successful military record search in this pre-recorded presentation.
August is the last month of summer vacation for most families. With a few extra weeks of freedom, but summer traffic at its worst, some families may want to make one last late-summer outing without spending much time in stop-and-go interstate traffic. RELIC Librarian Kirk Johnson gives a quick virtual tour of various local sites of historical interest that are close to home – though many would be worth a long drive – in this pre-recorded presentation.
Prince William County Business Case Tracking
RELIC has a number of business directories and manuscripts in Prince William County from the 19th century to the present day.
Some of the local business records in RELIC’s manuscript collection include the following:
The papers of Elias E. Conner (1830 – 1909), primarily a collection of books and trade receipts from his general store near Manassas (1850s to 1870s), were donated to RELIC by a descendant. Some of the material has been digitized, but it still lacks organization and finding aids.
A ledger from the 1870s Alvey General Store, Catharpin, Virginia, was left with RELIC a few years ago. He’s still waiting for some attention.
W. Fletcher’s Account Book, Buckland, Virginia, July 1876 – July 1879. Westwood Fletcher (1845 – 1903) obtained a merchant’s license in May 1876 and April 1877. It appears that he did not continue his trade thereafter. In 2018, the owners of this registry loaned it to RELIC for us to scan.
- CF Whitmer and Bros., Manassas, Virginia, ledger 1890 – 1894, 1900 – 1902.
- National Bank of Manassas, Ledgers and Papers, ca. 1895 to approx. 1930.
- CE Fisher and Son Hardware Store, Manassas, papers, 1926 – 1950.
- Manassas Community Theater, album, 1952 – 1962.
Here are some useful business directories for this region:
- Prince William County Chamber of Commerce. Liaison Entreprise (and other titles), 1981 – 1997.
- Prince William County – Greater Manassas Chamber of Commerce. Pacesetter (and News), 1979 – 1993.
- Prince William Regional Chamber of Commerce. Chamber of the Region, 1998 -.
- Contacts Influent, Northern Virginia (1983/84, 1990/91). Business directories indexed by business name, SIC, address, key personnel, telephone numbers.
- Leadsource: The Business List Source: Northern Virginia (1989). Same format as Influential Contacts.
Visit the “Doctor of Trees”
You can now make an appointment for virtual tours or in person with Don Wilson, “The Tree Doctor”. RELIC can schedule an hour-long appointment to discuss and deepen your Brick Wall Research Problem. Call 703-792-8380 or email [email protected] to schedule a time.
What’s new in RELIC
For RELIC news, Click here.